Now that the cold weather seems to be hear to stay... We would like to ask.......
Are you using your fireplace safely and correctly?
-If possible, keep a window slightly cracked while the fire is burning.
-Is your damper/flue open? Keeping it open will drawl the smoke outside out of the house. You can easily check by looking into the chimney with a flashlight.
-Use dry, older wood. Wet or green wood causes allot of smoke and soot buildup in the chimney. Dry wood burns more evenly.
-Smaller pieces of wood gathered together burn faster, producing less smoke.
-Are you getting annual chimney inspections by a professional? This is not only for cleaning but to ensure there are no blockages that prevent smoke from escaping.
-The layer of ash in the bottom of your fireplace should never stand more than 1” tall. A thick layer restricts air supply.
-Safety screens are a must if you have small children. They prevent curious hands from being burnt on hot glass.
-Keep the area around your fireplace clear of anything flammable.
-Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and routinely check the battery.
-Always know where your fire extinguisher is located in case of emergency
-Frequently speak with your kids about fireplace safety