With the high winds and constant snow fall it is so important to know how to properly own and operate a generator for your home.
- The first and most important thing to remember when using a generator is to keep it out of your home! Generators should never be used in your garage or basement and should be kept 20 feet away from your doors and windows. The exhaust from a generator contains a high amount of carbon monoxide, a poisonous and odorless gas that can kill a person in a matter of minutes.
- Second, keep your generator dry. Operate it on a dry surface that provides coverage and do not touch your generator with wet hands.
- Third, plug appliances directly into the generator or make sure that you are using heavy duty extension cords that have no visible tears or loose wiring.